Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A baby gift


(For a boy.)

I was invited to a baby shower a couple weeks ago.  I didn't end up going, but I did give a gift. 

For a minute, I thought about sewing up a simple quilt-something like this one-that Emily Falconbridge made for her son, Banjo.  Lack of mojo (or laziness) got the best of me, so I scratched that idea. 

I looked at my little stash of already made baby gifts and all I had left were a few baby washcloths.  I always like to add a little embroidery to them.  (And the funny thing was-the theme of this fall baby shower was 'monkey boy' and the only washcloths I had left were-one with a banana, one with a monkey face, one with birdies, and one with an acorn.  Perfect!)

(For a girl.)

I almost just wrapped the washcloths to give along with some money, but that seemed a little lame.  So I decided to buy a bar of Johnson's baby soap (I'm obsessed with soaps!) and some colored rubber tipped spoons (BPA-free!) and somehow, that made it seem less lame.  (Oh-I added a little money too.)

By the way, I stocked up on baby washcloths, bars of Johnson's baby soap, and colored rubber-tipped BPA-free spoons.  As I'm typing this, I'm thinking-wouldn't one of those tiny little jars of baby's first foods be cute included in a gift like this?  (To go with the spoons, of course.)  Must stock up on a few teeny, tiny jars o' baby food!


So, I guess this leads me to tell you about a wonderful book that I had sort of forgotten about until I lent it to a friend.  Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic-The Gift of Giving has tons of ideas for thoughtful and personalized gifts, theme gifts (I love theme gifts), and beautiful wrapping and presentation ideas.  If you are interested, I see you can purchase a used copy very inexpensively at Amazon right now.  I love you Amazon!!!

Have a great Wednesday!


9 comments:

Val said...

'Just discovered your blog last week or so, thanks to the etsy write-up. 'Happy to meet you. :) I'm in southwestern PA too. (Did you hear they're calling for snow for Saturday?! Why is the first snow always such a surprise, but it is.) :)

The hand-stitched washcloths a re a great idea, and it's funny how that worked out with the monkey theme. :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You put together a very sweet collection for the mom-to-be. And what is not to love about Rachel Ashwell. She's wonderful!

Rhonda said...

Great little gift idea for sure! Yes, the jar of baby food would be good in there, or even the first cereals and some embroidered bibs. Theme gifts are great!

Holly C. said...

Val-happy to 'meet' you too! Yay, snow. I love snow!

Rhonda-those are great ideas. Must get bigger box!

Kim said...

ooo...sis,you should do a give-a-way on your blog of the Shappy Chic book. There is a program you can use to draw the name. My friend Laura does them and you have to do a comment to get entered. I bet you would have lots of entries. That would be a cool book to have.

Dawnie said...

Love,love,love the gift theme!! I am glad I returned your book to you and I was able to get some ideas from that too. It is an awesome book with great themes too! I should purchase one to peruse at my leasure but I do have an amazing friend who shares these wonderful finds with me. Thank you!!

Julie Smith said...

I love this idea! Very, very sweet--and practical!

Michelle said...

Those gifts are perfect...and I love the embroidery:-)

Holly C. said...

Kimmie-I'll probably do a giveaway in January. Perhaps I'll include that book!