Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Calvin's papier-mâché bowl

Last evening I decided to make Calvin's papier-mâché bowl from Handmade Home. It's one of the three non-sewing projects in the book.

First I made the 'glue'. That's flour, salt, and water cooked up. You are suppose to add a drop of clove oil so it doesn't mold. (I didn't because I didn't have any.) Then I grabbed a sales flyer from the top of the garbage (still clean). I tore and glued, tore and glued around my plastic wrapped bowl (used for a mold). Then-I rounded up some pretty tissue paper and tore and glued that.
I then sat my bowl in progress in front of a fan overnight.
This morning I gently unmolded it from my bowl, then gently removed the plastic wrap, and trimmed up the edges. (See my lovely new old tray? Love it!) Voilà a papier-mâché bowl. It's the first time I can remember working with papier-mâché and it was FUN!

Anyone need a piñata?

8 comments:

Jodie said...

omg....how cute....guess what we are doing in class today...paper macheing balloons representing the chicken egg.....messy messy messy....20 kids doing it....this will be fun....not

Holly C. said...

Now-yes it will be fun! Messy but fun.☺

While you're at it make yourself a bowl!

Rhonda said...

Oh that's so cute! Good job.

Jessie said...

Why yes, actually i do need a pinata. But we are going to make it in class together. One of the last stories in our reading series is called the "Pinata Maker" and I thought the kids would love to make a pinata and break it open. So we are going to read it closer to the end of the school year and make one and have a party and break it open. 21 kids making a pinata, am i crazy or what? I think so!

Holly C. said...

Yes-you may be crazy, Jessie, but the kids will love it!

Dawnie said...

Turned out great! Love your balls inside it. Did you make them too? They are really cute.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That's a blast from the past -- it's been awhile since I've even thought of paper mache. My kids used to love it.

Holly C. said...

Why yes Dawnie, I did 'make' the balls. It's just foam balls that I wrapped strips of fabric around.