Friday, June 19, 2009

Revamp that ol' Home Interior

I don't know about you, but I have bought a lot of Home Interior over the years. Much of it has made its way to Goodwill. But there are a few pieces I have kept and stored, because I still liked them but I didn't really have a good place for them in my house anymore. But when I saw this I thought it was really pretty. I didn't really feel like painting my dresser, so I dug this shelfy thing with little drawers (it's Home Interior) out of the basement and painted it this pretty blue. I think it adds nice color to my very brown and woody bedroom.

Here are some tips:

1. Use Kilz II primer before paint. It's easy to work with and your paint will stick a lot better with primer on first. I think I just used acrylic craft paint on the shelf above.

2. Also, get out the old sandpaper after the paint dries and start sanding away around the edges and near the knobs/handles where wear would naturally occur. For some reason I think everything looks better after a little sanding.

3. And I like to add a little age to my painted pieces by wetting a rag a little and adding a dab of brown paint to the rag. Rub on then gently rub off.

Don't have any brown paint on hand? Dip a couple teabags in hot water and rub them on and then gently rub off-same as the paint.

4. Also, I'm not really into gold hardware, so I dabbed on some white paint or primer on the screws for the knobs. So don't be afraid to paint hardware if you don't like the color.

Here are two pieces of old Home Interior I dug of my closet and the basement. I may try painting these and see if they fit somewhere in my little home.

***Note: I broke the glass out of my mirror on my dresser. I never replaced it and I'm glad, because now I have more wall space to hang stuff. Don't worry, it's been more than 7 years. More like 15. ☺☺☺☺☺

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Clever! I still need to repaint my entertainment center. Maybe after the garage sale and after I seal the boys' play fort - perhaps by August :-)

Holly C. said...

I wondered if you did that yet. I understand why you didn't get to it yet.