Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Before and after

I bought this sewing table from Goodwill on Sunday afternoon for five dollars. Some nice fellows helped me get it into my vehicle. I wrestled it out of my vehicle by myself, when I got home. (Not easy.)

So when I should have been doing other things-like cleaning up my mess of a house or working on Bible School stuff-I got to work on my little table.

First, I removed the hardware. Then, I scuffed it up with some sandpaper to give it some tooth. Next, I cleaned 'er up with some soap and water. I let it dry and then got out the gray primer spray paint. (Didn't use Kilz II this time.) Then I got to work painting with a beige water-based paint. Three coats one right after the other. (I'm sure you are supposed to wait between coats, but I didn't.) Waited a couple hours and had my husband help me bring it in the basement. I then got out the brown craft paint and applied a light coat with a damp cloth and then gently wiped it off, for that rustic look. Next morning-I took the sandpaper to the edges and added the hardware back on.
When hubby got home from work, I had him help me get it upstairs and voilá-
A new sewing table for less than ten bucks. (There is no sewing machine actually in it. That space can be my secret hiding place for stuff.
I even re-lined the drawers with this pretty wrapping paper my mom gave me.

I think it turned out pretty cute. I love it!

12 comments:

Inoureyes said...

Just beautiful! What a find, you did a great job.

Rhonda said...

Oh you are soooo talented! Please come to WI and help me do my entertainment center! :-)

Holly C. said...

Thanks, Melissa.

I would love to help you, Rhonda! Wish I could.

Jodie said...

omg .....how pretty. you are way tooo cool. jessica is going to be just like you. i just know it. and i wouldnt pick a better person for her to be like ahem......i mean myself would be nice. ahem....thats ok. we are like 2 peas in a pod right???? and btw.....rhonda, she could come and help you. just book a flight. its that easy....wouldnt that be fun!!!!!!! i would even come with her. LOL

kb said...

I"ll come too... I love flying! Sissies...you both are talented. I miss everyone!

Holly C. said...

Thanks Kimmie! See you Saturday!

Love you

Rhonda said...

You all could come! I would love that! I don't think we'd get much work done though!

Dawnie said...

Okay, don't leave me out. I want to come too. By the way, Holly, I'm hoping that's the next craft in Bible School. OKAY?

Holly C. said...

Yes-let's all head out to WI. Watch out Rhonda-here we come!

Yes-your boys will be bringing a piece of painted furniture home for you tomorrow night!

Jodie said...

i just booked our flights.......anyone else in???? LOL

Anonymous said...

PLease -- GO !!!!

Holly C. said...

Shut your pie hole, Davey!