Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lemon squares

I decided that instead of stopping for Chinese tonight, I'd actually make something to take to Ladies Missionary.  My mom and my aunt used to make these a lot around Christmas time.  They are sooooo good!

My mom had this recipe in  little  hand written recipe booklet she gave me as a bridal shower gift over 20 years ago.  (I was working on reproducing this recipe book today-more on that later.)  I think it's a pretty common recipe but just in case you don't have it, I'll put it here.

Lemon Squares

2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup melted butter  (I just realized, I only used 1 stick and that's only 1/2 cup-it seems just fine!)

Mix together and pat in a 9 x 13 cake pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.

Filling

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2  cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (oops-forgot this!)

Beat eggs till thick, add rest of ingredients.  Pour on crumb mixture.  Bake 25 minutes more.  Cool.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Yum. Lemon bars. I think my mom had this same recipe.

Inoureyes said...

Looks yummy! will have to try your recipe. I tried making these a while ago and they just came out all gooey.
Oh by the way im still pregnant! hehe

Julie Smith said...

These look so, so good! Lemon Squares are my hubby's favorite so I will definitely give them a go!

RHonda said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love lemon squares - they are so refreshing.

dodi said...

So delicious -- love these! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I always cheat and make Krusteaz brand. (did I just admit that????) :)

Dawnie said...

These looks delish! Will give them a try. Maybe dessert tonight. Thanks!