Sunday, September 5, 2010

My new free Martha Stewart au gratin soap dish

My cousin Michelle (aka-Melsie) and I stopped at a wonderful thrift shop yesterday. The prices there are dirt cheap and if you dig you can find some treasures. I walked out of the store yesterday with two items, but this one was free. Why?-the owner said because it's chipped. I happen to not mind chips-so I was quite happy!

I knew it was enameled coated cast iron-it's so heavy! The botton said MSE-so I googled it and here-it's Martha Stewart. I couldn't for the life of me think of what this type of dish was called-so I googled something like-shallow individual baking dishes-and saw that this type of dish is called 'au gratin'.

Some might cook in this type of dish-but not me. I'm making mine into a 'soap dish'. I love this color. Very pretty, don't you think?

PS-That's what 23 year old wallpaper looks like!

And I made the commode cover (that's the back of the commode, by the way) in a few minutes this afternoon from sheeting. It matches my towel rug and my curtain. I sewed two rows of five-five inch squares wrong sides together-that's it-no finishing the raw edges. That's how I make my shower curtains too.

Have a lovely rest of the day!

5 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

The queen of style meets the queen of thrift -- what a great collision! I never would have thought soap dish, but you make it work well.

Rhonda said...

Great idea! Can't beat FREE!

Dawnie said...

Very cute. I love that Jolly Bee comment that says the queen of style meets the queen of thrift. Your soap dish is so pretty! Love your toilet seat cover too!!! Maybe I'll have to break out my Mickey sheets for a bathroom makeover in the boys' room. I have put some Mickey things in there so that would be adorable.

Holly C. said...

Just say the word, Dawnie, and I'll help you if you want. You gave me those pretty soaps in there, by the way!

Dawnie said...

I didn't even recognize them. You make everything look prettier at your house. Maybe I need to come for a visit. HA. Can you help me out. I think I need a miracle worker or a fairy godmother at this point!!!