Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fall is in the air

Fall is in the air and I like it!
The sunflowers are closing up shop for the season.  I'm going to have a ton of seeds to save this year!

Beautiful little cherry tomatoes!

The leaves are changing colors and I'm amazed, yet again, this year!

This is snapweed, jewelweed, balsam, impatiens capensis, or as I knew it as a kid, touch-me-not.  When the seed pods dry out a little, all you have to do is touch them and they explode. (I also found out that this plant has medicinal properties for relieving the itch of poison ivy-good to know!)

See?  I loved doing this as a kid, along with popping tar bubbles on the road on hot summer days.  (Mom let us kids play on the road!)  Then we had to get out the Crisco and clean up our hands and feet!  Oh, the memories!

Ssssssnake!  (I wasn't afraid, because I was on the gator.)  He blends right in!

A barn near my home.

Tiny lady bug-it's about time for these guys to invade my home!

I made a mug rug...

and another.  With the cooler weather, I've found I can drink tea all. day. long.
Have a wonderful week, everybody!

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh Holly, how I have missed you! Touch me nots are what we always called them. My grandma and grandpa had tons of them by the creek in their yard and I loved popping them. We were allowed to play on the road too. I used to pop the tar bubbles with my toes. Such wonderful memories you brought back today! I am still waiting for my crochet lesson!

Holly C. said...

Hey, Jessie! We'll get that lesson in soon! Promise!



Dawnie said...

Let's have a crochet powwow, girls! I would love to learn too. Just let me know when you all have an evening or afternoon or both! Love your pix, Holly! Unfortunatley, I don't have the awesome experience of popping tar bubbles, sounds fun though!! Love fall!!! It makes me happy, happy!

Michaelanne said...

I never heard of that plant! I thought it was so pretty when we saw it in the woods! I will have to remember, so next time we see it we can snap them:))) And..also good to know it is good for poison ivy! Zach has had it a few times REALLY bad! I was having a cup of tea yesterday in YOUR mug..(Its my fave) and I thought of you:) XXXOOO