Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mini-makeover for my little kitchen

Before

It all started last night because I redid my windowsill with Mason jars to get ready for lilacs and dogwood flowers.

First though-I wanted to clean my window.  Wasps had built a nest between the window and the screen last summer and I never had the heart to kill them.  They made a mess!  But when I climbed up on the chair and took the curtain down and took the screen out, I noticed the filth up above.  It had been awhile since I had cleaned up there and ewwwwww!

So this morning I thought-I'm going to take all that crap down AND I'm going to take down that border AND I'm going to try to get that rail off.  It was nice in 1987, but now the dated dirt trap had to go!  With a little help from a hammer and a crow bar, off it came.

When I took all that stuff down along with the border-it was so dark up there, it looked terrible.  So I just went ahead and cleaned.  And cleaned some more.  I was trying to figure out what to put up there.  I started with a few of my Pyrex bowls, and well the rest is history.

(My fridge is naked-I took all my pics off today, but I will be putting updated pics back on.)

I like the color the bowls added and I think the whole kitchen looks better than before.

Wow-it's so true that you have to mess up to clean up and oh, boy-what a mess I had. 

Now, I need a cup of tea!




Have a great day!

10 comments:

Kimmie-Bear said...

Me likey!

Anonymous said...

now get your tired butt over to my house!!!!!! jodie

Holly C. said...

Thanks, Kimmie-Bear.

I too ti-red, Joey!

Dawn S. said...

it looks lovely! The bowls do add a nice splash of color. Enjoy you updated room.

Michaelanne said...

I LOVE the bowls! I want to put something new over the top of my cabinets too:) You did SO much work!! You better have TWO cups of tea after that rehaul! and all because of a mason jar:)))) Can't wait to see those jars filled with pretty blossoms!! Relax now would ya:) Looks BEE-U-TEE-FUL!

Dawnie said...

Yes, it does look Beautiful! What a great idea to put all your pretty and colorful pyrex bowls above. You are a cleaning guru!! I think you deserve a whole, entire pot of tea.

Rhonda said...

That's such a great updated look! That galley rail sure was popular in the 80's! I had some in my kitchen back home too. I just love how you display all your lovely pieces!

Lora said...

wow! what a difference! it looks so good. love the mason jars and the pyrex! :)

summerlily said...

Your mini make-over looks great! I have a similar railing in my kitchen - I can't wait to take it down!

A Friend on the Farm said...

I love all of that wood in your house. You always have things looking so warm and inviting!