Saturday, August 21, 2010

It's slim pickins 'round here!

We ran out of bread a few days ago and today I used the last of the milk in my tea. No bread and no milk and one weird looking egg (discolored or something?-it's not old either!)=no breakfast foods for me. (Hubby isn't around much on weekends, so really, I only have to feed myself.)

You see-I really dislike stopping at the store. I avoid it like the plague. I will finagle ways to get out of going to the store whenever possible. And since my child no longer lives here-(that's right, she's moved out for college) I'm just not too worried about having to have bread and milk in the house. (Although, she would tell you there was never anything here to eat anyhow!) Hubby has been having cheeseburgers with the works (onions, tomatoes, pickles-but no buns or bread), and cucumber and tomato salad for supper. (Hey-that little garden does come in handy.)

Anyhow-this morning I went down to the freezer to make sure there wasn't any bread hidden there and I found a Tastefully Simple cornbread mix that my mom had given me and a packet of Carnation instant milk. So I made the milk (it made 1 quart), and since I had the milk I could make the cornbread (it called for one cup milk and 1/3 cup vegetable oil). I love cornbread and this was delicious. I guess slim pickins aren't so bad, really.

Now-what to have for lunch??? Maybe cereal, since now I have milk? I suppose I'm going to have to visit the store tomorrow-ick!

3 comments:

kb said...

I think if you didn't live so far from the store you wouldn't have a problem. :)

Rhonda said...

Kim-it does not matter how far from the store you live -if you hate it, you hate it. I hear you, Holly - and if I did not have little ones at home, I'd be scrounging around the freezer for goodies too :-)

Holly C. said...

Ahhhhh-someone who understands!!!