Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pineapple popsicles

Today-instead of dumping the pineapple juice down the drain, I made some pineapple popsicles!They'll taste good-cause it's been hot here. And it makes me feel not wasteful.

When I was little my mom would always drain the pineapple into a cup and me or my sisters would drink it down. When Mom made buckeyes (peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate)-she always dropped the leftover chocolate onto a plate covered with wax paper and popped it into the freezer. We waited a little bit-then my sisters and I wolfed down those waxy chocolate wafers. We loved them. One last thing that comes to mind-pie dough. Mom would take the leftover pie dough and roll it out, sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on it and then bake it-and you guessed it we scarfed that down when it came out of the oven.

Now-I think I've offered my daughter these things over the years and she has either turned her nose up or she didn't get excited about them. Go figure-I think it's probably because she had treats readily available to her pretty much all the time. (Probably a mistake.)

Anyhow-anybody have any memories about how their mom didn't waste food back in the olden days??? Teehee-I am feeling pretty old today-my daughter graduates from high school tonight-unbelievable, really!

I just thought of one more thing-after we kids ate our chicken off the bone-Mom would take the piece and clean 'er up!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Omg...the memories. I'd wolf those right up still. Now though I eat the semisweet chocolate chips right out of the bag. Mom's just had wax added to it to make the chocolate harden and shiney. Maybe that's what's wrong with me...too much wax. haha!! Hey did you drink the dill pickle juice after the pickle jar was empty? I think Jodie and I did. Oh that reminds me, peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! yum. I think I'll make one for din din tonight! :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Happy graduation night! Don't cry too much. I'm already blubbering and our graduation is still three weeks away. Maybe by then I'll be completely dried up!

Hmmm...I can't remember many memories, just my mom letting us lick out the bowl when she made cookies.

Holly C. said...

That was Jodie who drank the pickle juice-silly girl!

Jodie-I'm really hoping to hold it together. I really hate to cry in front of people! It's the end of an era-and it's come and gone so quickly!

Holly C. said...

Oops-I meant Jodi:)

Rhonda said...

Oh, good memories of your childhood! My mom baked the extra pie crust too and we pretended it was communion. I also remember her squeezing extra icing into our mouths when she was decorating cakes! Any wonder why I have a sweet tooth?
Happy Graduation to Hope!

cumquats said...

Congratulations on your daughters graduation. I'm sure it will be a special moment to remember. We never wasted the pineapple juice either, but we drank it straight away. We used to put oranges in the freezer for an icy treat. Frozen oranges are delicious. Kim :)