Saturday, February 6, 2010

Treasure bag


I was sort of dreading the treasure bag project from Handmade Home, because it calls for discarded window screen or mesh and I didn't really think I had any of that lying around. Well....the other night I was emptying the last of the oranges into the bin and I thought-why couldn't I use this mesh orange bag for my treasure bag. (The treasure bag is for collecting shells, rocks, acorns, etc.-something that can get wet and dries quickly or will filter out some of the dirt that comes along with finding these treasures.)

Anyhow-I removed most of the label, ripped a piece of vintage sheet and then a smaller piece of muslin (upcycled curtain). Stamped the muslin. Sewed the muslin onto the piece of sheet. Then sewed the piece of sheet on my orange mesh bag-that was tricky. I used the zigzag stitch and my settings on my machine were all screwed up and I started making a mess of things, so I threw my project across the room and came back to it later. When I came back to it, I ripped out some of the mess I had made, fixed the settings on my machine and just used the regular stitch (mostly) and forged ahead. I grabbed some leftover homemade binding from my scrap bag-stitched 'er across the top and also used it for my straps and voilá-a treasure bag. It's quite strong too. I tested it out with a bunch of canned goods. I'm not sure it will ever get used, but I can count it as a project completed! Amanda Soule always writes 'use what you have' , and I certainly did just that!☺

Thought for the day: It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years. (Sign given to us by friends in lieu of flowers, from my father-in-law's funeral.)

8 comments:

Dawnie said...

Well, let's just head to the beach and see how it holds up for seashells. I have beach blankets, thanks to you and now we have something to put our treasures in. Now we need big, old floppy hats and we are set!!!

Jodie said...

oh that is hysterical.....can i come. that is funny.....you crafty ole girl you..........i love it...whats even funnier is that you have a bright ORANGE mug hanging beside it....coincidental, oh i have my doubts.....you are sooooo cuteeeeeeeeeeeeee

Holly C. said...

Well-of course you can come.

You know me so well-not a kawinkiedink at all!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Love the bag....I think it turned out awesome. I think we've all had those moments when you just have to throw that project as far away as possible. I know frustration well.

Anonymous said...

Its a totally cute bag and love that you used what you had. the sign was a nice gift, lasts longer than flowers. sorry about your father-in-law.

Holly C. said...

Yes-I thought that it was a nice gift too.

Thank you.

dodi said...

Holly -- I borrowed this idea for a bag for my little ladies. It's not going to be as nice as yours, but it will do! Thank you so much for the idea. ☺

Holly C. said...

You are so welcome Dodi!