Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh, happy Mother's Day!

Here are some fresh lilacs for you!

Yesterday I did some planting.  Well-if you want to call it that.  Basically I scratched up the dirt with my little rake, then sprinkled seed, then pat, pat, tamp, tamp.  Stick a fork in me, I was done!  We shall see if I end up with anything.

I made little markers so I could remember what seed went where.  The sharpie will fad with the sun and rain, so if you want to do this, you'd have to protect your rock with some kind of varnish or use paint.   (Has anyone ever planted onions from seed before?  We always used onion sets before.  I wonder if it will work.)  Wook at my wittle kindygarten drawing of a radish!  HA-I think I better stick to words only!

I was looking through some old photos this morning (you know, it's Mother's Day!) and I came across this one of my baby Hope with her cousin Kylynn holding her-circa 1992.  I thought maybe Kylynn would enjoy this, so I posted this on Facebook and tagged Kylynn.  I've said this before and I'll say it again-looking though old photos and looking at old video is so BITTERSWEET!  And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, because I've talked about this before with friends and family.  I looked up "bittersweet" on dictionary.com and some of the definitions are:  both pleasant and painful or regretful: a bittersweet memory, and pleasant but tinged with sadness.  Isn't that the truth.  And I realize that Mother's Day is bittersweet for many too-those who have lost their mothers and those that want to be mothers and aren't.  My poor mother couldn't sit through church without crying on Mother's Day for several years after Grandma passed away.    So though it's a wonderful day, I realize it's tinged with sadness for many too.  And I want you to know I will be thinking of ALL of you! 

Love to you!!!

Holly

5 comments:

Dawn S. said...

I love reading your posts. They make me smile. The Lilacs are lovely. They were everywhere when I lived in Northern Idaho and I really miss them.

Holly C. said...

:) Happy Mother's Day, Dawn!

Dawn S. said...

To you as well Holly!

A Friend on the Farm said...

Great idea Holly with the river rocks! I was trying to think of how to mark our garden and I may just use your idea. I hope you enjoyed your lovely Mother's Day!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Yeah -- Mother's Day can be a bittersweet kind of day. It's the first time one of my kids wasn't there (away at college). Anyhow, I hope yours was a good one. I love your stones. I planted onions from bulbs -- not seeds. So far, things are a sprouting!