Saturday, August 21, 2010

A first time for everything


Today-for the first time ever-I made tomato juice from fresh tomatoes. I had a bin of tomatoes that my neighbor had given me and also some from our garden. I washed them, cut them, cooked them up, ran them through a potato ricer, added salt, ladled the juice into canning jars, and after they cooled, I stuck them in the fridge. No-I didn't can this juice-I don't have the equipment for that. But this will be fine in the fridge all the longer it will take us to use it. I tasted it and it's delish!

This was soooo easy to do. I see more tomato juice making in my future-perhaps some spaghetti sauce and tomato soup too!

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh you are full of energy! I have a pail of tomatoes my hub wants me to do something with - I just dread cleaning and skinning them. I'll be making the canned diced tomatoes that we use in our chili - no tomato juice in this house!

Holly C. said...

Yes-I'm not sure I'd enjoy taking the skins off and chopping and dicing, but putting them through the ricer-I can do. I'm thinking that's what I'll do for spaghetti sauce and maybe soup too.

Inoureyes said...

Ewwwwww, but so clever! (clearly i don't like tomato juice.) I have 4 preservers.....come on over and pick one up!!!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Despite the pile of dishes -- you are going to so enjoy that tomato juice. It looks so rich. Yum.

Jodie said...

i would love some of thattttttt

Dawnie said...

Yummy!! If you need help, call Adrion! He helped us do Salsa and loved helping! If you need to use a canner, let me know. You can use ours anytime. We use it once or twice a year. Homemade is the best, just alot of work!

hanna said...

oh I've been dreaming of summer and tomatoes lately, this winter seems to be going on far too long! I will be planting LOTS of tomatoes this year, enough to make enough tomato sauce, chutney and dried tomatoes to see me through the year hopefully :)

Widge said...

yuuuummmmm this looks soooooo gooooood!!
clever you. I'm completely freaked about preserving. One day :)