Monday, July 13, 2009

Homemade cabinet redo



My dad made this cabinet (it was natural oak) for my grandmother. It hung on her wall for many years, displaying her bell collection.

Both of my wonderful grandmas passed away in 1998.

So, this cabinet made it's way back to my dad and it sat in his basement for many more years. Finally, he asked me if I would like to take it, because if not, he was trashing it.

Well, I couldn't let it be trashed! But I honestly didn't know what the heck I would do with it. It's quite a large and heavy piece to be hanging, and I really didn't have a good wall for it.

It sat in our shed for a year or two-then my husband said he thought I better do something with it because it was in the way and it would get broke-yada, yada, yada.

It moved to our basement and then one day I had this (I thought) bright idea to put it up on legs.

I went to Goodwill, found a stool with legs for 8 dollars, brought it home. I hammered, hacked, sawed, and demolished the heck out of that stool-but I got my legs.

I primed, painted, and aged the cabinet and legs. Got it upstairs, took out my stash of National Geographics, put the cabinet on those. Took Gorilla glue to the little legs, carefully took out the NG on one side to place my legs, then the other, added glass knobs and tada-a nice, little display cabinet. I had the perfect spot for it too!

I am so glad I salvaged that cabinet. Not only does it have sentimental value, I absolutely love it!

***I did this in 2007 according to the back of the photos I scanned***

***Edited to add-more photos of my cabinet in use.***


I love this thing!

7 comments:

kb said...

You inspire me everyday. Just wait till you see my little reading/tv nook off the kitchen. I loved that space but never really had anything that would keep me there. Oh and i found a cute find for you at our salvation army. Jodie I'm keeping my eye out too for something for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh-can't wait to see it!

Love you!

Holly

R said...

okay, this one finally came through for me after I clicked on each pic individually.
Girl, you are gooooood!
Love it.

Anonymous said...

Wish my blog would quit being weird!

Thanks-and I know for a fact you are gooooood too! You were doing this stuff way before I was!

Holly

Kristi @ Creative Kristi said...

So cute! And a great story of it's history too! I came over from the CSI Project!

KatrinkaJane said...

Having trouble visualizing how this came together...? ((fellow CSI crafter))

Holly C. said...

KatrinkaJane,

This cabinet started out as a large, heavy wall cabinet which my dad had made for my grandma many years ago. Eventually it came to me. I had no wall to put it on and I really didn't like the look of the natural oak. So I decided to paint it and put it on legs. I bought a stool at Goodwill and cut the legs from it. Then I gorilla glued them to the bottom of this cabinet (using National Geographics for support-till I got all the legs glued on). It's been sitting in my living room for a few years now and because my dad made it and it use to be my grandma's and because it is beautiful-I LOVE IT!