Friday, July 24, 2009

Flour sack gift bag


I was filling my flour container yesterday, and it made me think about this gift bag that my Mom made and gave me (with gift in) a long time ago. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing, and thought to myself that I needed to make one someday.

Well, since I have this blog, I had an empty flour sack, and I still had this Robin Hood gift bag from my mom, I decided to give it a shot.

It was really easy and only took a couple minutes.

Here's how I made it:
1. Take an empty flour sack and flatten it out.
2. Cut across the top about a 1/2 an inch above where you want the top to be.
3. Open the sack up and fold the top down about 1/2 an inch the whole way around.
4. Now-fold the sack up like a brown paper bag or store bought gift bag. (This is probably the hardest part.)
5. Take your hole puncher and punch 4 holes-1 near each corner. (I had cute little hole cover thingy majiggies that I put around each hole.)
6. Take some kind of thick string (I used bias tape-from Goodwill, of course. My mom used jute.) and knot at each hole to make handles. You may have to double knot-if the string you use is too thin.

And there you go-a flour sack gift bag. A unique, cute, little bag that would be cool to give food gifts or kitchen gifts in, don't you think? I do.

***Note-the flour sack my mom gave me was dated 1994. I've held onto that thing for 15 years!***

5 comments:

Jodie said...

you are too freaking cute. lol

Jodie said...

ps.....that would take too much time, just go buy a gift bag..........LOL

Anonymous said...

I know-I have tons that I don't even use.

But this is UNIQUE.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Holly☺

R said...

Cute idea - love that you could put kitchen gifts in here - it would be the talk of a bridal shower for sure!

Anonymous said...

great idea!!!!! Grandma's Best!!!