Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mommy keepsakes



My sister loves my niece's little doodles that she's always doodling, so I thought I'd make her a keepsake. Something more permanent than a drawing on paper and a cute way to display it too.

I traced these hoops with washable marker and cut them out roughly (and bigger). The material I used was some old muslin curtains I had stored away. (Hey-I'm being green again!) I took the material and some washable markers over to their house yesterday and asked my beautiful niece to draw some of her doodles within the circles/oval. I brought them home last night and started embroidering. I added some fabric and buttons. I filled the sink with water and a little detergent and washed out the marker. I let them dry some, then cut off the excess material, tightened the hoops and voilá! Mommy keepsakes!

My sister was wondering what we were up to yesterday-and now she'll know-she's one of my 10 blog readers!

7 comments:

kb said...

Ahh. how cute...I want a child so I can have a mommy keepsake!

Holly C. said...

You will someday, Kimmie!

Jodie said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I CANT WAIT TO HANG THEM SOMEWHERE. I LOVEEEEEEEEE HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. AND YOUUUUUU

Rhonda said...

OH too cute = you are sooooooo clever! I love that idea! Maybe good for the first time a child writes his/her name????

Holly C. said...

Yes-That's a good idea!

Dawnie said...

These are so sweet!! I love this idea. What a great way to keep memories!!

Holly C. said...

Thank you for the hoops, Dawnie! You gave them to me, as usual!